Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Portacath

I had my portacath installed today. Since they put me to sleep for the procedure and I took a big nap upon my return at home, well, it's 1:15AM and I'm wide awake! I guess the procedure went well but I did get extremely nauseous from the anesthesia & the pain killers they gave me. I was told by my lovely husband that maybe I shouldn't have been eating as much right away... oops! But having not had any food in my stomach for 24+ hours, I was starving.

The nausea is gone but the pain sure kick in. I wasn't expecting it to be that painful but thankfully, the boys are big enough to bathe themselves and pretty much do everything by themselves. They were bribed by a big chocolate covered pretzel & a glass of milk before bed and did great, no fighting :)

Hopefully, I will be able to get some sleep tonight. The pain should start wearing off in 2-3 days, just in time to enjoy the weekend.

Also, thank you for everyone's kind words & prayers, this means a lot to us right now. As far as help goes, until now we had been turning down offers since I was still in good shape and able to do a lot. The next 6-7 months will be a lot tougher and we're finally accepting any help anyone is willing to give :) We are already covered for food for next Monday-Thursday, then Steve will be home for the weekend. I still have no idea how this will be affecting me but any help will be greatly appreciated, just call us or email us ahead of time. I do have my chemo teaching tomorrow, I should know more about what kind of food to avoid & which ones are good.

There isn't much that has happened since my last input, I'm really trying to tire myself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Caroline,

We are so glad that the procedure went well yesterday. Hoping, and praying, that the pain subsides quickly and that you can have a peaceful weekend. Thanks for the update!

Love, Lisa